Expert on public finance, school finance, Wisconsin government spending and taxation, federal tax policy, property tax
- Economist specializing in public finance, especially state and local government public finance
- Extensive research on school funding, on the costs of achieving an "adequate" education, and in modeling school funding reform in Wisconsin
- Fiscal problems of central cities, estimating fiscal health of governments in metropolitan areas
- Public finance in South Africa, education funding and funding of local governments
- Visiting fellow, Lincoln Institute of Land Policy, Cambridge, Mass.
- Experience at U.S. Department of Treasury, Organization of Economic Cooperation and Development
- Faculty affiliate, Institute for Research on Poverty, Wisconsin Center for the Advancement of Post-secondary Education