Expert on free speech/freedom of speech and communications/information technology law, and the role of courts, especially when interpreting statutes.
- Legal issues related to free speech/freedom of speech, including pornography, obscenity, offensive speech, libel and defamation, privacy, and commercial advertising.
- Legal issues related to free speech/freedom of speech in specific institutional contexts, such as academic freedom, speech on campus, and press freedom.
- Legal issues related to changes in communications and information technology, including the Internet and social media.
- Judicial decision-making involving the interpretation of statutes.
- Served as an administrative appellate judge in the United States Department of Labor.
- Served as a Senate-confirmed member of the Foreign Claims Settlement Commission, an independent, quasi-judicial federal agency that adjudicates claims of U.S. nationals against foreign governments.
- Widely published, including in Stanford Law Review, Northwestern University Law Review, Law and Social Inquiry, and Federal Communications Law Journal.