Expert on state and local politics, public management
- Wisconsin state politics and government
- State-local-tribal and federal government relations
- Public management
- Author of seven books, including "Politics and Policy in American States and Communities"; "Public Administration"; and "Personnel Management in Government Agencies and Nonprofit Organizations"
- Founding director, La Follette School of Public Affairs
- Chair, UW-Madison Department of Political Science
- Chair, three gubernatorial task forces and four city and county task forces