Expert on social psychology of media influence, especially communication effects on political judgment, public opinion, civic participation and electoral engagement
- Capacity of mass and interpersonal communication, particularly the Internet, to encourage community building, civic participation and electoral engagement
- Influence of news framing and priming of public policy on issue understanding, political preferences and public opinion
- Relationship of media use to consumer and civic culture, particularly the politics of consumption
- Nafziger-White Award for the field's outstanding dissertation, the Krieghbaum Under-40 Award for early career contributions, and two "Article of the Year" awards
- Author of more than 70 journal articles and book chapters in leading outlets in the fields of communication and political science.
- Principal investigator or core leader on grants totaling more than $1.5 million, part of more than $11.1 million in grant funding