Expert on democratic education, social studies teaching and learning, the inclusion of controversial political and legal issues in schools
- Democratic education
- Social studies teaching and learning
- Youth political and civic engagement
- Controversial political and legal issues in the school curriculum
- Recipient of the Grawemeyer Award in Education for her book, The Political Classroom, (Routledge, 2016) with co-author Paula McAvoy.
- Advisory board member, Center for Information and Research in Civic Learning and Engagement and for the Civic Mission of the Schools
- Lead investigator for multiyear study on the impact of controversial issues discussions on youth political and civic engagement
- Co-creator of The Discussion Project https://discussion.education.wisc.edu/ a campus-wide professional development series for faculty to strengthen their capacity to create welcoming, engaging, and academically rigorous classrooms.