Expert on broadcasting and journalism, journalism ethics
- Broadcast journalism: network and local
- Journalism ethics
- Media and the criminal justice system: cameras in the courtroom
- Intercollegiate athletics: academics and rules compliance
- Listed annually in "Who's Who in America" and "Who's Who in American Education"
- Co-author, "Writing News for Broadcast," widely used in television newsrooms and college classrooms, which has been called "the 'Strunk and White' of broadcast newswriting"
- Wisconsin Association of Broadcasters' Hall of Fame; Frank Stanton Fellow, International Radio and TV Society; Outstanding Broadcast Journalism Educator, Association for Education in Journalism, Mass Communication
- Past member of a variety of NCAA committees, Big Ten Conference committees and Western Collegiate Hockey Association committees