Expert on astronomy, stellar physics, white dwarfs, neutron stars and black holes, eruptive binary stars.
- Staff member, Italian Institute of Astrophysics-Padova Observatory since its beginnings.
- Extreme phenomena in astrophysics, eruption, explosions.
- Management of science in Europe, differences with science management in the United States.
- The origin of the "type Ia supernovae", supernovae from white dwarfs in binary stars, important distance indicators and crucial in the discovery of "dark energy".
- PI of scientific projects with all 8 satellites with X-rays telescopes since the early 1990's, and with other satellites observing in ultraviolet.
- Observer with the SALT telescope, located in South Africa. Currently building a collaboration with South African astrophysicists.
- Member, WIYN (Wisconsin-Indiana-Yale-NOAO) telescope scientific steering committee.