Expert on optimization algorithms, tools and software and (mathematical) modeling, primarily applied to medicine, engineering and business
- optimization methods and software
- modeling and applications of operations research, medicine and engineering
- large scale computational science, model structure and grid computing and its use in problem solving environments
- Chair, SIAM Activity Group on Optimization; Co-editor, Mathematical Programming; associate editor SIAM Journal on Optimization and TOMS
- Author, "Linear Programming via MATLAB"
- Fellow of INFORMS, Guggenheim Fellow, Beale Orchard Hays Prize for Excellence in Computational Mathematical Programming