Research Areas: Electromagnetics, Antennas, RF/Microwaves, Microwave Ablation, Medical Imaging Systems (Microwave, EPRI, MRI), Phased Arrays, Radar, High-Power Microwaves, Wireless Communications, Metamaterials.
Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering; Harvey D. Spangler Faculty Scholar; H. I. Romnes Faculty Fellow College of Engineering Work: 608-262-8804 — Home and cell phones available upon request firstname.lastname@example.org Home page
- Antennas (reconfigurable, beam-switchable, phased-arrays, multi-beam, digital beamforming, etc.) and RF front ends for wireless communications systems (MIMO, millimeter-wave, 4G, LTE, 5G) and internet of things.
- Periodic structures, metamaterials, and metasurfaces for microwaves, infrared, and optical applications including flat lenses, reflectarrays, phased arrays, spatial filters, FSSs, radomes, polarizers, and aberration-free optics.
- Antenna development for a wide range of military and civilian applications including electronic warfare, military and cellular communications, radar, GPS, cell phones, computers, maritime, etc.
- System and hardware development for medical imaging including Electron Paramagnetic Resonance Imaging (EPRI), Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Microwave Imaging, and Thermo-Acoustic Imaging.
- Therapeutic applications of radio frequency and microwaves with particular emphasis on microwave ablation, hyperthermia, and antenna developments for ablation/hyperthermia and medical implants.
- Nine issued US Patents: 9,431,712; 9,406,477; 8,337,540; 8,849,229; 8,811,511; 8,362,956; 8,228,251; 7,639,206, and 7,268,741. Six other patents pending.
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). ECE Rising Star Alumni Award, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, 2016
- H. I. Romnes Faculty Fellowship, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education University of Wisconsin-Madison (2016-2021)
- Harvey D. Spangler Faculty Scholar Award, College of Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Madison (2016-2019)
- Vilas Associates Award, Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education University of Wisconsin-Madison (2016-2018)
- R. W. P. King Prize Paper Award, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (2014)
- Piergiorgio L. E. Uslenghi Award, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society (2012)
- CAREER Award, National Science Foundation (2011)
- Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, Air Force Office of Scientific Research (2011)
- Young Investigator Program (YIP) Award, Office of Naval Research (2011)
- 17 different best paper awards and/or recognitions at various international conferences and symposia.