Expert on antennas, phased array antennas, radio wave propagation, microwaves, microwave ablation, wireless communications, radio-direction finding and localization, cell phone geolocation
McFarland-Bascom Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering; H. I. Romnes Faculty Fellow College of Engineering Work: 608-262-8804 — Home and cell phones available upon request firstname.lastname@example.org Home page
- Antennas and phased arrays antennas for a wide range of applications (cell phones, 5G communications, automotive applications, military/tactical radios, electronic warfare, radio direction finders, etc.)
- Applied electromagnetics. Electromagnetic analysis, design, modeling, simulation, and characterization at frequencies ranging from hundreds of Hertz to hundreds of GHz.
- Historical cell phone record analysis. Interpreting cell phone record data provided by service providers to determine possible cell phone locations based on historical records collected.
- Bioelectromagnetics. Health impacts of electromagnetic radiation (e.g., cell phone, base station, 4G/5G systems) on people. Determining safe radiation levels.
- Therapeutic applications of radio frequency and microwaves with particular emphasis on microwave ablation, hyperthermia, and antenna developments for ablation/hyperthermia and medical implants.
- 21 issued US Patents in the areas of Electrically-Small Antennas, Microwave Ablation, Phased-Array Antennas, EPRI Imaging, Wireless Communications, and Low-Frequency Transmitters. 2 Additional patents pending.
- Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE). Recipient of a number of other national, international, and UW awards and recognitions.
- Serves as the Principal Investigator/Co-Principal Investigator of numerous federally-funded research projects sponsored by NSF, ONR, AFOSR, ARO, and other agencies.
- Served as a consultant and expert witness for Wisconsin Public Defenders Office on multiple occasions and performed historical cell site analysis of cell phone records.
- Served as a consultant and expert witness for two different law firms on intellectual property disputes, Inter Partes Reviews, and patent infringement cases.
- Served as consultants for different U.S. companies designing antennas and phased-array antennas for consumer electronics, wireless power transfer, and military applications.
- Has published more than 300 papers in areas antennas, phased arrays, microwave ablation, radio direction finding, microwave lenses, reflectarrays, frequency selective surfaces, and high-power microwaves.