Expert on cancer pain control, end-of-life symptom management, and experimental clinical studies on psychedelic medications.
- Clinical study design and implementation using psychedelic drugs (psilocybin) or MDMA.
- Clinical protocol design; preparation of FDA Investigational New Drug applications; DEA, and Controlled Substances (Researcher) applications reporting.
- Palliative care and the treatment of symptoms associated with cancer and non-cancer diseases, particularly end stage disease
- Therapeutic use of opioid analgesics for chronic cancer pain management
- Pharmacokinetic modeling: the use of computer programs to predict drug concentrations over time in individuals and populations
- Paul Hutson is the Director of the UW Madison Transdisciplinary Center for Research in Psychoactive Substances based in the UW School of Pharmacy
- Paul Hutson was the Principal Investigator for the safety trial of escalating doses of psilocybin performed at the University of Wisconsin, Madison.
- Paul Hutson holds an Investigational New Drug exemption for clinical use of psilocybin, as well as appropriate DEA and State authorizations for its use.
- Paul Hutson performs population pharmacokinetic modeling of animal and human studies for UW researchers and as a consultant to the pharmaceutical industry.