Expertise: geospatial modeling of hazard events (floods, tornadoes, and hurricanes); damage and loss estimation from disasters; response decision making
- Expert on modeling at-risk and vulnerable infrastructure during flood events for assisting decision makers with planning and coordinating resources, supplies, and evacuations.
- Developed a geospatial tornado damage and loss model. This model aids communities with estimating their potential losses from past or future tornado events.
- Designed and implemented the <b> University of Iowa Flood Disaster Evacuation System </b>. This system recommends campus buildings for evacuation during flood events.
- Honorable Mention, James Lee Witt Local Award for Excellence in Floodplain Management, Association of State Floodplain Managers (ASFPM)
- Innovative Applications of Hazus Flood Award, FEMA
- 27th Annual Governor’s Volunteer Award, Iowa Governor’s Office