Expert on viral immunity, viral evolution, design and testing of vaccines.
- Evolution and emergence of AIDS, influenza, Zika and other viruses
- Disease process (pathogenesis) in viral infections, especially AIDS and influenza. Currently studying Zika virus also.
- Immunity to viral infections
- Design and testing of antiviral vaccines, particularly for AIDS and influenza
- Discovered evolutionary "bottlenecks" in influenza virus transmission that could affect how bird flu jumps to humans
- Affiliate scientist, Wisconsin National Primate Research Center
- Member, UW Influenza Research Institute
- Discovered constraints on AIDS virus evolution that could help guide vaccine development