Mary N. Layoun
Expert on comparative study of modern cultures, literature and politics of eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, Japan, U.S.
Professor, comparative literature
Home and cell phones available upon request.
Mary N. Layoun Professor, comparative literature University of Wisconsin-Madison Expert on comparative study of modern cultures, literature and politics of eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, Japan, U.S. http://complit.lss.wisc.edu/faculty/layoun.php firstname.lastname@example.org 608-262-9767 (work) Home and cell phones available upon request; e-mail email@example.com
Areas of expertise
- Comparative modern cultures, literature and politics in Arabic, English, French, Greek and Japanese and their translation
- Nationalism and narratives of other communities
- Gender, community and citizenship
- International comic books and history
- Comparative race and ethnicity in and beyond the U.S.
- Visual culture, narrative and rhetoric
- Outstanding Woman of Color Award, UW-Madison, 2008
- Modern Language Association executive council, 2004-08
- Author, "Wedded to the Land?: Gender, Boundaries, and Nationalism-in-Crisis," 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Award, 2006; UW-Madison Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 1999
- Author, "Travels of a Genre: Ideology and the Modern Novel," 1990, (Choice Outstanding Academic Book, 1991)
- Fulbright Research Award, 1989-90