Expert on comparative and functional genomics, systems biology, microbial physiology and evolution, eukaryotic stress-defense mechanisms.
- Signal transduction: using genomic techniques to understand the eukaryotic regulatory systems that coordinate responses to environmental stress.
- Biofuels: using genomic and systems biology techniques to engineer microbes for cellulosic production of fuels and products.
- Comparative genomics: comparing whole-genome sequences across fungi.
- Evolution: exploring natural variation in stress sensitivity and gene expression within and between yeast species.
- Elementary outreach: teaching and performing inquiry-based science aimed at kids and teachers.
- CALS Pound Research Award, 2014
- NSF CAREER award, 2005-10
- Beckman Young Investigator, 2004-07