Works on issues at the boundaries between philosophy and economics: causation, rationality, ethics, methodology
- What is it for one event to be a cause or another?
- What is to have rational preferences, especially in strategic situations?
- What is economic justice and economic welfare? When they compete, how should they be traded off?
- How should we make comparisons of overall health between people? Are preferences a good guide?
- Is economics a science?
- Phi Beta Kappa Romanell Lecturer, 2010-11
- Elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, 2009
- WARF Professorship, 2003