Expert on early literacy in children, child health advocacy, public health and medical education.
- Public health: director of the MD-MPH program at the UW School of Medicine and Public Health
- Child health advocacy: focuses on the betterment of children's health through advocacy approaches; teaches these approaches to a variety of learners.
- Children's literature; holds degrees in public health as well as in children's librarianship.
- Early literacy promotion; founding medical director of Reach Out and Read Wisconsin and the UW Pediatric Early Literacy Projects.
- Member, Early Brain and Child Development Leadership group at the American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Recipient, Physician Advocacy Award from the Institute for Medicine as a Profession.