Expert on star formation, infrared and radio astronomy, issues of extraterrestrial life
- Massive star formation: star formation requires knowledge of a wide range of astrophysics
- Infrared and radio astronomy: objects in universe that are hidden at optical and ultraviolet light
- Do extraterrestrial civilizations exist, and what are our prospects of detecting them?
- Member, American Astronomical Society and International Astronomical Union
- Published more than 200 refereed scientific research papers and contributed to three books and several popular articles
- Principal investigator of the Galactic Legacy Infrared Mid-plane Survey Extraordinair (GLIMPSE) using NASA's Spitzer Space Telescope