Expert on the history of science education in the United States, teaching the nature of science in schools
- science curriculum
- History of science education in America
- Nature of science in schools
- Author, "How We Teach Science: What's Changed and Why It Matters," and "Scientists in the Classroom: The Cold War Reconstruction of American Science Education"
- Past Editor-in-Chief of Science Education, one of the leading science education research journals in the world
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow
- Best Article Prize, History of Education Society