Expert on Athenian drama, women and gender in classical antiquity, classical reception
- Classical reception (Classics and the 19th century)
- Women and gender in classical antiquity
- Ancient Greek tragedy and comedy
- Co-editor, with C. A. Faraone, "Prostitutes and Courtesans in the Ancient World," University of Wisconsin Press, 2006.
- Author, "Courtesans at Table: Gender and Greek Literary Culture in Athenaeus," Routledge, 2003.
- Author, "Spoken Like a Woman: Speech and Gender in Athenian Drama," Princeton, 1997
- UW-Madison Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 1999
- Vilas Associate Award, 1999-2001
- Fellow, Institute for Research in the Humanities, 2001
- Recipient, Philip R. Certain Fellowship, 2013