Expert on international finance, macroeconomics, fiscal policy and monetary policy.
- International currencies
- Determinants of exchange and interest rates
- Effectiveness of fiscal policy
- Government debt and deficits
- Author, Lost Decades: The Making of America’s Debt Crisis and the Long Recovery (September 2011, W.W. Norton) (with Jeffry Frieden).
- Senior economist, White House Council of Economic Advisers, 2000-01
- Member, International Finance and Macroeconomics program, National Bureau of Economic Research
- Member, Congressional Budget Office Panel of Economic Advisers, 2011-2012