Journalists: Please use these pronouns when appropriate.
Expert on how people learn about gender and race stereotypes from the media and subsequent effects on health.
- How does people's awareness of stereotypes of their group negatively affect their health?
- What stereotypical beliefs about gender and race do people learn from the media (telelvision, social media, etc.)?
- How does media use negatively influence women and girls' attitudes about their body image?
- How do gendered, racialized stereotypes negatively affect Black women's attitudes toward their sexual experiences and romantic relationships?
- How can strengthening racial/ethnic identity and media literacy programs help Black Americans protect against negative, stereotypical messages encountered in the media?
- Published research in a variety of peer-review Psychology journals, including the Journal of Counseling Psychology, Journal of Black Psychology, and Psychology of Women Quarterly.
- Teaches the Psychology of Women & Gender, Human Sexuality, and the Psychology of Black Women
- Co-organizer of Flourish, an NSF-funded network for pre-tenure psychologists of color
- Frequently gives invited talks and interviews on research community groups, businesses, and on podcasts.