Comparative studies of gender and politics, especially European and American feminist movements
- Women's and gender issues in Europe
- Feminism and social policy
- Transnational social movements and social change
- Globalization and gender
- Abortion politics in comparative perspective
- Author, Varieties of Feminism: German Gender Politics in Global Perspective (Stanford University Press)
- Co-author, "Shaping Abortion Discourse: Democracy and the Public Sphere in Germany and the United States"
- Co-editor, "Global Feminism: Women's Transnational Activism, Organizations and Human Rights"