Expert on modern Italian cinema, culture and society in European context.
- Italian cinema and media studies
- History and Politics of Italy
- European Union developments and analysis
- Study Abroad developments and issues
- Translation Studies
- UW-Madison Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 2007
- Former Director, UW Center for European Studies
- Former Chair, UW Department of French and Italian
- Author, "Allegories of Contamination: Pier Paolo Pasolini's Trilogy of Life"
- Contributor, ArtForum Magazine