Expert in brain and spinal cord control of respiration; autonomic nervous system; neurotransmitters and control of respiration, effects of ageing on respiratory nervous system.
- How sympathetic and parasympathetic divisions of the autonomic nervous system control urine storage and urine evacuation
- How supraspinal and spinal enteric neurons control gastrointestinal motility
- How brainstem neurons control respiratory rhythm, and how rhythm is modulated by dopamine and disturbed by opiates
- Nominated for the Fondation de Physiopathologie Professor Lucien Dautrebande Prize award through the European Union for outstanding contributions
- Shannon Research Career Development Research Award, National Institutes of Health
- Field editor, Encyclopedic Reference of Neuroscience, Respiration-Neural Control