Expert on satellite remote sensing, climate change, and the global energy and water cycles.
- Satellite remote sensing of clouds and precipitation
- Global energy budget
- Climate feedbacks and climate change
- PI NASA CloudSat- and Global Precipitation Mission-sponsored Light Precipitation Validation Experiment (LPVEx)
- Lead developer NASA CloudSat radiative heating rate, rainfall, and snowfall datasets. NASA group achievement award for algorithm development in 2008.
- Co-chair NASA Energy and Water cycle Study (NEWS) energy and water cycle climatology working group
- Author: "Touring the Atmosphere Aboard the A-Train", Physics Today 63, 36-41.
- Member: American Geophysical Union and American Meteorological Society.