Journalists: Please use these pronouns when appropriate.
Expert in nineteenth-century US literature, early African American literature; children's literature; race, gender, and sexuality studies.
- Race and reproduction, interracial families and kinship, and interracial adoption in culture, politics, and history.
- African American women and African American women writers in culture, politics, and history. African American women as organizers and in rights movements.
- African American children, as readers of and as represented in children's literature.
- Animals and human-animal relationships in culture, politics, and history. Especially African Americans and birds.
- Girlhood in US literature and popular and material culture. Especially dolls.
- Author of Relative Races: Genealogies of Interracial Kinship in Nineteenth-Century America (Duke University Press, 2020)
- Bylines in New York Times, Los Angeles Review of Books, and Avidly.
- Recipient of fellowships from Wesleyan University Animal Studies Program, the American Antiquarian Society, and the Idol Family Foundation/Villanova University.
- Journal editor: J19: Journal of Nineteenth-Century Americanists, Journal Features editor: Legacy: A Journal of American Women Writers
- Journal editorial board member: Papers of the Bibliographical Society of America, Eighteenth-Century Fiction, Research on Diversity in Youth Literature, Tulsa Studies in Women’s Literature