Expert on the evolution of yeast carbon metabolism, evolutionary genomics/genetics, molecular evolution, phylogenetics, population genetics, evolutionary systems biology
- Aerobic fermentation/Crabtree-Warburg Effect. Some yeasts ferment sugars to ethanol, even when oxygen is present. We study how this system evolved from typical respiratory strategies.
- Evolutionary genetics, functional genomics, and the evolution of complex genetic systems.
- Yeast biodiversity, especially Saccharomyces, including industrial and brewing strains
- Maclyn McCarty Fellow, Helen Hay Whitney Foundation, 2008-2011
- Genetics fellow, James S. McDonnell Foundation, Washington University in St. Louis School of Medicine, 2007-2008
- Predoctoral fellow in the biological sciences, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 2001-2006