Expert on rabbinic Judaism, food and Judaism, food and religion, and Jewish History
- Jewish History (from biblical to modern times)
- Food and Religion
- Food and Judaism
- Rabbinic Judaism (literature and history)
- Author, "Rabbinic Drinking: What Beverages Teach Us About Rabbinic Literature," University of California Press, forthcoming in hardcover and paperback, 2020.
- Author, "The Jewish Dietary Laws in the Ancient World," Cambridge University Press, 2016 (paperback: 2019)
- Author, "Food and Identity in Early Rabbinic Judaism," Cambridge University Press, 2010 (paperback: 2014)
- Co-Editor, "Feasting and Fasting: The History and Ethics of Jewish Food," NYU Press, forthcoming in hardcover and paperback in December 2019.
- Starr Fellowship, Harvard University, 2009