Expert in microbial ecology, limnology, water quality, wastewater treatment, environmental genomics, ecosystem microbiology
- Water quality and eutrophication of freshwater lakes.
- Wastewater treatment microbiology.
- Environmental and ecological genomics, transcriptomics and proteomics
- Impact of climate change on microbial processes and communities in lakes
- Evolution, community assembly, and bacteria-virus interactions
- UW-Madison Class of 1955 Distinguished Teaching Award, 2008
- NSF CAREER Award, 2007
- Principal investigator, North Temperate Lakes Microbial Observatory