Expert on comparative study of modern cultures, literature and politics of eastern Mediterranean, Middle East, Japan, U.S.
- Comparative modern cultures, literature and politics in Arabic, English, French, Greek and Japanese and their translation
- Nationalism and narratives of other communities
- Gender, community and citizenship
- International comic books and history
- Comparative race and ethnicity in and beyond the U.S.
- Visual culture, narrative and rhetoric
- Outstanding Woman of Color Award, UW-Madison, 2008
- Modern Language Association executive council, 2004-08
- Author, "Wedded to the Land?: Gender, Boundaries, and Nationalism-in-Crisis," 2001
- Phi Beta Kappa Teaching Award, 2006; UW-Madison Chancellor's Distinguished Teaching Award, 1999
- Author, "Travels of a Genre: Ideology and the Modern Novel," 1990, (Choice Outstanding Academic Book, 1991)
- Fulbright Research Award, 1989-90