I study the relationship between popular culture and radical social movements.
- Exploring how political movements like civil rights, women's and gay liberation, and AIDS activism use art and popular culture to pursue their goals.
- Study how marginalized groups use art, literature, and visual media to express their political investments and foment social change.
- Study how LGBTQ culture is formed and sustained in art and popular culture.
- Winner of the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies Best First Book Award.
- Winner of the ASAP Book Prize for the Association for the Study of the Arts of the Present.
- Winner of the Stanford Humanities Center Fellowship 2019-2020.