Expert on history of American film industry
- Hollywood's golden age, 1930-1950
- Foreign film distribution in the U.S.
- Contemporary Hollywood
- Independent production
- Author, "Hollywood in the New Millennium," British Film Institute, 2014.
- Author, The Foreign Film Renaissance on American Screens: 1946-1973," University of Wisconsin Press, 2010.
- Author, "Grand Design: Hollywood as a Modern Motion Picture Entetprise--1930-1939," Charles Scribner's Sons, 1995.
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences film scholar
- Wisconsin Academy of Sciences, Arts & Letters Fellow
- Author, "United Artists: The Company that Changed the Film Industry," University of Wisconsin Press, 1985.