Expert on coexistence and conflicts between people and wildlife worldwide, especially wolves, bears, and big cats.
- Public attitudes toward wolves and wolf policy in Wisconsin; projects on Andean bears in Ecuador and students working on big cats in Africa and
- Behavioral ecology of carnivores and risk for people living near them
- Methods for mitigating human-wildlife conflicts, including hunting, non-lethal methods, and lethal control of problem wildlife.
- Public trust and constitutional protections for the environment
- Clements Award for Outstanding Research and Education
- Nominated for the Indianapolis Prize
- >110 scientific publications on ecology and conservation