Expert on food science, protein chemistry, dairy chemistry, hydrogels
- Protein-water interactions; ice crystal growth inhibition by peptides and proteins; phase transitions (melting, freezing, etc) in foods
- Conversion of polymers into hydrogels; biodegradable polymers; chemical modification; interfacial properties of proteins; emulsions
- Whey processing; flavor problems in whey and soy proteins; industrial separation of proteins
- Fellow, American Chemical Society
- Member, Institute of Food Technologists and American Oil Chemists Society
- Editor, "Fennema's Food Chemistry," "Food Proteins and Their Applications"